Wednesday 4 March 2015

David Lineton

Here at MoDiP we love to see how students use the collection.  In this interview we find out how David Lineton, who graduated from the AUB with a First Class Hons BA in Commercial Photography in 2014, was inspired by the collection.

LD: David, you used the MoDiP collection in your final major project. What was the aim of your project?

DL: MoDiP objects featured in two of my final year Projects.  The first project was titled Unnecessarily Complex Contraptions. This series of images looked at over-complicating a simple process such as making a cup of tea or frying an egg. The series consists of four images and referenced illustrators such as Heath Robinson and Rube Goldberg who drew caricatures of machines that would aim to make a simple process have a complex mechanical alternative. The final images aimed to generate a professional series of images that would feature in my final graduate portfolio. 

Copyright: David Lineton

The second project looked to visualise a timeline in design it aimed to find a visual way of showing products that have been developed over time. This project consisted of five images each featuring a selection of design in a specific product such as Lamps, Razors and Radios. When the image is read from the left to right, the rope shows a journey of design. Through set design each demonstrates a specific period of time. The items were sourced from the MoDiP collection. The final images aimed to generate a professional series of images that would feature in my final graduate portfolio. 


Copyright: David Lineton

The resulting images were printed onto Duratrans and were presented on hand made lightboxes. A selection of images from both projects were used in the AUB Graduate Show 2014 and the Cathexis Graduate show in London.

LD: When did you become aware of the collection and how you could use it in your work?

DL: Having the Museum on campus meant that I was introduced to the collection in my Art Foundation at the beginning of my study at AUB. However, it was not until my final year of my degree that I contacted MoDiP, this was because of an exhibition that they had on which took my interest and I saw a possibility to create a collaboration. Once I made contact I then explained how I wanted to feature MoDiP artefacts within my projects and was guided through the loans process. 

Copyright: David Lineton

LD: How did you use the collection?

DL: Having developed a concept and undergone research into the project that I was working on, I would then look at artefacts in the MoDiP catalogue and generate mock up and try out visual ideas that featured some of the artefacts as styling elements.

LD: How did you find the process of selecting objects and booking them out?

Selecting the object was straightforward, with the filters and search terms that featured on the online MoDiP catalogue I was able to quickly refine my search.

Once I had decided which artefacts would work with the projects I would arrange studio space and the loan of the artefacts, this was done mostly through email.

LD: You have now graduated, what are you doing now and do you think your project has helped in your early career?

DL: Currently I am Freelancing in London as a Still Life Photographer and also as a photographic and digital assistant. Any down time I spend working on personal projects and collaborations.

The projects that I underwent at university made me develop quickly and professionally. They gave me a great guide and structure for the beginning of my career.

LD: David, thank you very much for using the collection and sharing your experience, we wish you the best of luck for the future. 


David's work is currently on display in the AUB Library reading room.

Following his graduation, David is now working as a still life photographer who freelances in the London area. He works using photography as a visual language to express his thoughts, allowing him the freedom to be creative with light and set design as these are his main areas of interest. 

Website: davidlineton.com
Contact: d.lineton@me.com 

Louise Dennis, (Assistant Curator)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.