Wednesday 30 August 2017

Museum Engagement Officer


Hello everyone I’m Sarah and this is my third week working at MoDiP as Museum Engagement Officer. I must say, everyone has been very friendly settling me into the team! 



I thought I’d take a few moments to tell you a bit about myself. I’m a Goldsmiths Girl! Well I went to Goldsmiths College, University of London graduating with a BA (Hons) Textiles in 2005. During my time studying I specialized in felting by hand. I became fascinated by historical textiles and costume in museums – it became my visual resource of inspiration. It came as no surprise that I then went on to study at Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton, graduating with MA Museums and Galleries; History of Textiles and Dress in 2007.

Since studying and becoming a qualified Museum Professional I have built up over 10 years’ experience curating and engaging audiences with museum collections. I achieved Associateship of the Museums Association in 2012.

I’ve worked within diverse organizations from conservation charity The National Trust at Tyntesfield, A la Ronde, and Sunnycroft to Trowbridge Museum, Wiltshire and a private collection at Dents Museum, Wiltshire. Before starting here I was working at Linwood School (Springwood Campus) Bournemouth, after completing a CACHE Level 2 Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools.

What makes me tick?
I love gardening and although I don’t have a garden I’m still managing to grow vegetables on our balcony. This year I’ve grown peas from a seed and they’ve turned out to be quite tasty and sweet. 


One of my greatest passions is baking. My most proud bake to date is making an Alice’s Teapot Cake for my mother-in-laws recent birthday. Perhaps one day you might find me on The Great British Bake Off, until then enjoy these photographs of my creation - see the cake develop into a finished works of art. 



I’m currently working on a textile project for our Living room, which has been recently redecorated. My inspiration came from a visit to the Tower of London in 2014 to see an art installation: Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red. The detail in the photograph below is a small scale sample of handmade felt - exploring ways to embellish the felt to bring it to life. Here, I have started hand embroidery to outline the outer edge of the poppies. 



If you haven’t already noticed I’m a creative person and have a flare for photography.

What am I going to be doing at MoDiP?

My post is a new addition to the team at MoDiP. I will be developing a programme of engagement. I will be working on ways to engage diverse audiences with the museum collection by advocating the importance of museum collections as resources for learning, inspiration and how they can change lives. I hope to deliver innovative ways of learning and teaching, creating a legacy of best practice in the theory and practice of creative learning

Watch this space…

Sarah Jane Stevens AMA (Museum Engagement Officer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.