Tuesday 7 June 2011

Harriet Thomas - You can do it with plastics

The following is part of the response to the You can do it with plastics request by AUB staff and students.

Harriet Thomas - BA (Hons) Fine Art, year 2

Untitled
My practice is mainly craft based using traditional techniques with contemporary materials.  Transforming the mundane into the extravagant or extraordinary is a subject matter my work embodies. Using found objects or materials I attempt to renovate them into something other than their customary function; by means of different forms of embellishment.  Using polythene bags I create my own yarn which I use to produce my sculptures; juxtaposing mass production with a handmade outcome.  Utilising the craft of crochet allows me to transform the viewpoint of polythene bags from a negative mass, seen to have a single use, into a positive by the means of a unique sculpture.  The sculpture was in response to two units Defining Practice 2 and Negotiated Practice 1. 

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.